Friends of Marple Memorial Park Constitution
Adopted on the 19th day of January 2004:
The name of the group is Friends of Marple Memorial Park called 'the Friends' in this constitution.
To provide opportunities for community members to improve and promote the use of, awareness of and care of facilities within Marple Memorial Park in order to make the park a welcoming, safe and enjoyable environment for all.
- To work in partnership with Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council or other interested parties, to help manage and generally look after the Marple Memorial Park in a manner that will enhance its value to the community.
- To make changes which will be of benefit to the residents visiting the park and to the flora and fauna living in it.
- To make special efforts to encourage children from the local primary schools and other youth groups to take an interest in the park; to help them understand its value in the environment and to the community and to show them ways in which management can enhance this, in the belief that they may continue the work of 'The Friends' in future.
- To formulate an action plan (to include a variety of projects).
- To raise awareness and profile of the park.
To further the objectives the Committee may exercise the following powers:
- To set up a bank account in the name of the 'Friends'.
- To raise funds and receive contributions, donations and otherwise, provided that the group shall not undertake any permanent trading activity.
- To levy subscriptions/membership fees.
- To produce leaflets/posters to publicise the groups activities.
- To hold meetings.
- To pay necessary expenses involved in the running of the 'Friends'.
- To operate a small society lottery to raise funds for the park.
Membership of the 'Friends' shall be open to any person who has an interest in the positive development of Marple Memorial Park.
The group shall elect a committee consisting of not less than 5 members. They shall be elected to serve for 1 year. From amongst the Committee a chairperson, a secretary and a treasurer will be elected.
Other members may be appointed to hold/undertake particular responsibilities within the group e.g. fund-raising.
Committee meetings will be held on a monthly basis but may be deferred for up to 3 months if the committee is in agreement that there is no urgent business to discuss. All meetings are open. Informal meetings may be held during task days in the park.
(a) Any money raised shall be used to further the aims of the 'Friends' and for no other purpose.
(b) Bank account(s) will be opened in the name of the 'Friends' as required to support the group's activities.
(c) The committee shall decide the signatories to any account set up in the name of the group.
(d) A simple written note of the 'Friends' financial position will from time to time be produced and available at meetings of the committee.
(e) No member shall derive any financial or material benefit from the 'Friends', except for payment of reasonable expenses.
(f) No money will be paid out in the name of the 'Friends' without a receipt being presented.
Annual General Meeting:
An AGM of the group shall be held every year. All members shall be notified not less than 14 days before the meeting and an agenda will be circulated. The business of the AGM will be:
- To receive the Chairman's report of the previous years activities.
- To receive the Treasurer's report and the audited accounts.
- To elect Committee Members for the following year.
- To conduct any other business that the Committee may see fit to include.
Amendments to the Constitution:
If amendments to the Constitution are necessary, members will be informed in writing and given the opportunity to consider and vote on the amendments. The amendments will only be made if there is a two-thirds majority vote of all members.
'The Friends' may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at an AGM. This resolution may give instructions for the disposal of any assets held by or in the name of "The Friends of Marple Memorial Park" provided that if any property remains after the payment of all debts and liabilities, such property shall not be given or distributed among the members but shall be given to other organisations having similar conservation objectives as 'The Friends'.
Amendments 22 April 2014 following 14 April 2014 AGM:
Finances (e) amended from: “No member shall derive any financial benefit from the 'Friends', except for payment of reasonable expenses.” to also exclude deriving any material benefit.
Meetings: amended from “Committee meetings will be held on a monthly basis. Open meetings will be held every quarter (4 times a year).” To reflect the agreed practice that has developed over several years.
Amendments agreed at 10 June 2019 AGM:
Finances (b) amended from “A bank account will be opened in the name of the 'Friends' at the Royal Bank of Scotland, Marple.” due to the closure of the Royal Bank of Scotland in Marple. Also Finances (c) amended from “The group shall decide the signatories to any account set up in the name of the group (two out of three signatories to sign any cheque).” due to different rules for Santander account. Also, the addition of the power to operate a small society lottery to raise funds for the park.